[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Erik Bray erik.m.bray+numpy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:22:28 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Charles R Harris
<charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> drop 2.6
>>>
>>> I still don't understand why folks insist that they need to run a (very))
>>> old python on an old OS, but need the latest and greatest numpy.
>>>
>>> Chuck's list was pretty long and compelling.
>>>
>>> -CHB

>> +1 for dropping Python 2.6, 3.2 and 3.3 after branching 1.11.x. We're
>> already behind other projects like ipython, pandas and matplotlib as usual,
>> so there really isn't much point in being the only project (together with
>> scipy) of the core stack to keep on supporting more or less obsolete Python
>> versions.
>

> OK, I'll go ahead and add a heads up to the 1.11.0 release notes that
> support for Python 2.6, 3.2, and 3.3 will be dropped in 1.12.0

Looks like the decision has been made--but just to add another data
point on this, the Astropy project decided to keep Python 2.6 support
for the upcoming release (v1.1) but adds a deprecation warning, and
support will be dropped altogether in the next release (v1.2) out
sometime next year.

The critical deciding factor was the (informal, non-scientific) poll
of (mostly) astrophysics Python users [1] which showed just 2% of
users on Python 2.6.

Anecdotally, I think even in the ~half year since then there has been
even more movement to scientific Python distributions, and so I would
not be surprised if that number has already dropped to <1% if the
exact same people were surveyed.  Hard to say though.

Erik

[1] http://astrofrog.github.io/blog/2015/05/09/2015-survey-results/