[Numpy-discussion] When to stop supporting Python 2.6?

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 10 07:20:25 EST 2015

On 12/09/2015 12:10 AM, Ralf Gommers wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 12:01 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov
> <mailto:chris.barker at noaa.gov>> wrote:
>
>     drop 2.6
>
>     I still don't understand why folks insist that they need to run a
>     (very)) old python on an old OS, but need the latest and greatest numpy.
>
>     Chuck's list was pretty long and compelling.
>
>     -CHB
>

>     On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 1:38 AM, Sturla Molden
>     <sturla.molden at gmail.com <mailto:sturla.molden at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
>         <mailto:charlesr.harris at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         > As a strawman proposal, how about dropping moving to 2.7 and 3.4 minimum
>         > supported version next fall, say around numpy 1.12 or 1.13 depending on how
>         > the releases go.
>         >
>         > I would like to here from the scipy folks first.
>

> +1 for dropping Python 2.6, 3.2 and 3.3 after branching 1.11.x. We're
> already behind other projects like ipython, pandas and matplotlib as
> usual, so there really isn't much point in being the only project
> (together with scipy) of the core stack to keep on supporting more or
> less obsolete Python versions.
>
> Ralf

I don't see how that is a relevant point. NumPy is the lowest component
of the stack, we have to be the last to drop support for Python 2.6. And
we aren't yet the last even when only looking at the high profile
components. Astropy still supports 2.6 for another release.
Though by the time 1.11 comes out we might be so I'm ok with dropping it
after that even when I'm not convinced we gain anything significant from
doing so.