[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop providing official win32 downloads (for now)

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Dec 22 14:11:27 EST 2015

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 10:05 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> There's a good chance that many downloads are from unsuspecting users
> with a 64-bit Python, and they then just get an unhelpful "cannot find
> Python" error from the installer.

could be -- hard to know.

> At least until we have binary wheels on PyPi.
>>
>> What's up with that, by the way?
>>

> I expect those to appear in 2016, built with MinGW-w64 and OpenBLAS.

nice. Anyway, I do think it's important to have a "official" easy way to
get numpy for pyton.org pythons.

numpy does/can/should see a lot of use outside the "scientific computing"
community. And people are wary of dependencies. people should be able to
use numpy in their projects, without requiring that their users start all
over with Anaconda or ???

The ideal is for "pip install" to "just work" -- sound sike we're getting
there.

BTW, we've been wary of putting a 32 bit wheel up 'cause of the whole "what
processor features to require" issue, but if we think it's OK to drop the
binary installer altogether, I can't see the harm in putting a 32 bit SSE2
wheel up.

Any way to know how many people are running 32 bit Python on Windows these
days??

-CHB

> Ralf

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov