[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop providing official win32 downloads (for now)

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:32:43 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 7:22 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 11:18 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> Any way to know how many people are running 32 bit Python on Windows
>>> these days??
>>

>> I don't claim we are representative of the whole community, but as far as
>> canopy is concerned, it is still a significant platform. That's the only 32
>> bit platform we still support (both linux and osx 32 bits were < 1 % of our
>> downloads)
>

> thanks -- I think that's a good data point -- presumably, people can grab 64
> bit Canopy just as easily as 64 bit -- and get all the extra packages. And
> they still want, or think they do :-), 32 bit.

I recently updated the data on 32 and 64 bit windows from the Steam
hardware survey here:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/Windows-versions

The take-home is that about 12 percent of gamers have 32 bit Windows.
It's easy to believe business users will use 32-bit more.

Also, I believe that the default Windows Python.org installers are
32-bit, at least, that's what the filenames suggest when I try it now.

Cheers,

Matthew