[Numpy-discussion] Dynamic array list implementation

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 28 13:58:18 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 4:01 AM, Nicolas P. Rougier <
Nicolas.Rougier at inria.fr> wrote:

> But my implementation is quite slow, especially when you add one item at a
> time:

> Python list, append 100000 items: 0.01161
> Array list, append 100000 items: 0.46854

are you pre-allocating any extra space? if not -- it's going to be really,
really pokey when adding a little bit at a time.

With my Accumulator class:

https://github.com/PythonCHB/NumpyExtras/blob/master/numpy_extras/accumulator.py

I pre-allocate a larger numpy array to start, and it gets re-allocated,
with some extra, when filled, using ndarray.resize()

this is quite fast.

These are settable parameters in the class:

DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE = 128 # original buffer created.
BUFFER_EXTEND_SIZE = 1.25 # array.array uses 1+1/16 -- that seems small to
me.

I looked at the code in array.array (and list, I think), and it does stuff
to optimize very small arrays, which I figured wasn't the use-case here :-)

But I did a bunch of experimentation, and as long as you pre-allocate
_some_ it doesn't make much difference how much :-)

BTW,

I just went in an updated and tested the Accumulator class code -- it
needed some tweaks, but it's working now.

The cython version is in an unknown state...

some profiling:

In [11]: run profile_accumulator.py

In [12]: timeit accum1(10000)

100 loops, best of 3: 3.91 ms per loop

In [13]: timeit list1(10000)

1000 loops, best of 3: 1.15 ms per loop

These are simply appending 10,000 integers in a loop -- with teh list, the
list is turned into a numpy array at the end. So it's still faster to
accumulate in a list, then make an array, but only a about a factor of 3 --
I think this is because you are staring with a python integer -- with the
accumulator function, you need to be checking type and pulling a native
integer out with each append. but a list can append a python object with no
type checking or anything.

Then the conversion from list to array is all in C.

Note that the accumulator version is still more memory efficient...

In [14]: timeit accum2(10000)

100 loops, best of 3: 3.84 ms per loop

this version pre-allocated the whole internal buffer -- not much faster the
buffer re-allocation isn't a big deal (thanks to ndarray.resize using
realloc(), and not creating a new numpy array)

In [24]: timeit list_extend1(100000)

100 loops, best of 3: 4.15 ms per loop

In [25]: timeit accum_extend1(100000)

1000 loops, best of 3: 1.37 ms per loop

This time, the stuff is added in chunks 100 elements at a time -- the
chunks being created ahead of time -- a list with range() the first time,
and an array with arange() the second. much faster to extend with arrays...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov