[Numpy-discussion] Characteristic of a Matrix.

Colin J. Williams cjw at ncf.ca
Wed Feb 4 14:51:19 EST 2015

On 06/01/2015 8:38 PM, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com
> <mailto:njs at pobox.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Since matrices are now part of some high school curricula, I urge that they
>     > be treated appropriately in Numpy.  Further, I suggest that
>     consideration be
>     > given to establishing V and VT sub-classes, to cover vectors and
>     transposed
>     > vectors.
>
>     The numpy devs don't really have the interest or the skills to create
>     a great library for pedagogical use in high schools. If you're
>     interested in an interface like this, then I'd suggest creating a new
>     package focused specifically on that (which might use numpy
>     internally). There's really no advantage in glomming this into numpy
>     proper.
>

> Sorry for taking this further off-topic, but I recently discovered an
> excellent SAGE package, <http://www.sagemath.org/>. While it's
> targeted audience includes math graduate students and research
> mathematicians, parts of it are accessible to schoolchildren.  SAGE is
> written in Python and integrates a number of packages including numpy.
My remark about high school was intended to emphasise that matrix
algebra is an essential part of linear algebra.  Numpy has not fully
developed this part.  I feel that Guido may not have fully understood
the availability of the Matrix class when he approved the reliance on dot().

> I would highly recommend to anyone interested in using Python for
> education to take a look at SAGE.
Thanks Alexander, I'll do that.  It looks excellent, but it seems that
the University of Washington has funding problems and does not appear to
have the crew of volunteers that Python has.

Regards,

Colin W.