[Numpy-discussion] Silent Broadcasting considered harmful

R Schumacher rays at blue-cove.com
Sun Feb 8 18:24:25 EST 2015

At 02:47 PM 2/8/2015, Simon Wood wrote:
>Not quite the same. This is not so much about language semantics as
>mathematical definitions. You (the Numpy community) have decided to
>overload certain mathematical operators to act in a way that is not
>consistent with linear algebra teachings. This can be a bit
>confusing for people who develop and implement mathematical
>algorithms that have a strong foundation in linear algebra,
>irrespective of the language they are migrating from.
>
>With that said, I do appreciate the comments by Matthew, Eelco and
>others. Numpy is *not* a linear algebra package, so it does not
>adhere to the same mathematical definitions. This realization has
>cleared some things up.

Via my (admittedly infrequent use of) numpy.linalg
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/routines.linalg.html#linear-algebra-on-several-matrices-at-once
I think it behaves more in line with algebraic thinkers.

I do not have any issue with broadcasting, and use it frequently, but
I've always wanted to see more examples and discussion directly in
the docs, in general.
I have over years post/argued for a doc site more like PHP-doc, where
users can contribute examples and discuss them. There is a wealth of
such examples here in the list and the tutorial, but requires
unnecessary time and Google-foo.

- Ray Schumacher