[Numpy-discussion] The future of ndarray.diagonal()

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 15:28:41 EST 2015

On 04/01/15 17:22, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> There are two different scenarios to consider here, and perhaps I didn't
> make that distinction clear enough. One scenario is that of a maintained
> library or application that depends on NumPy. The other scenario is a
> set of scripts written for a specific study (let's say a thesis) that is
> then published for its documentation value. Such scripts are in general
> not maintained.

> It's the second scenario where gradual changes are a real problem.

> Suppose I have a set of scripts from a thesis published in year X, and I
> need to understand them in detail in year X+5 for a related scientific
> project. If the script produces different results with NumPy 1.7 and
> NumPy 1.10, which result should I assume the author intended?

A scientific paper or thesis should be written so it is completely
reproducible. That would include describing the computer, OS, Python
version and NumPy version, as well as C or Fortran compiler.

I will happily fail any student who writes a thesis without providing
such details, and if I review a research paper for a journal you can be
sure I will ask that is corrected.

Sturla