[Numpy-discussion] Datetime again

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 10:08:36 EST 2015

On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 7:54 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Charles R Harris
> <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm playing with the idea of building a simplified datetime class on top
> of
> > the current numpy implementation. I believe Pandas does something like
> this,
> > and blaze will (does?) have a simplified version. The reason for the new
> > class would be to have an easier, and hopefully more portable, API that
> can
> > be implemented in Python, and maybe pushed down into C when things
> settle.
>
> When you say "datetime class" what do you mean? A dtype? An ndarray
> subclass? A python class representing a scalar datetime that you can
> put in an object array? ...?

I was thinking an ndarray subclass that is based on a single datetime type,
but part of the reason for this post is to elicit ideas. I'm influenced by
Mark's  discussion apropos blaze
<https://github.com/ContinuumIO/blaze/blob/master/docs/design/blaze-datetime.md>.
I thought it easier to start such a project in python, as it is far easier
for people interested in the problem to work with.

Chuck