[Numpy-discussion] Datetime again

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 29 12:58:45 EST 2015

> > I was thinking elapsed time. Nanoseconds can be rather crude for that
> > depending on the measurement.
>

>  Wouldn't the user just keep elapsed time as a
> count, or floating point number, in whatever units the instrument spits
> out?  Why does it need to be treated in a different way from any other
> numeric data?  We don't have special types for length.

I've wondered about this since np.datetime was first introduced. I know I
have no need for better than second precision. Not that other's don't have
that need, but is there even a single use-case of someone wanting nano, or
sub-nanosecond precision and dates and calendar functionality in one array?

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov