[Numpy-discussion] missing FloatingPointError for numpy on cygwin64

Sebastien Gouezel sebastien.gouezel at univ-rennes1.fr
Sat Jan 31 15:53:53 EST 2015

Dear all,

I tried to use numpy (version 1.9.1, installed by `pip install numpy`)
on cygwin64. I encountered the following weird bug:

 >>> import numpy
 >>> with numpy.errstate(all='raise'):
...    print 1/float64(0.0)
inf

I was expecting a FloatingPointError, but it didn't show up. Curiously,
with different numerical types (all intxx, or float128), I indeed get
the FloatingPointError.

Same thing with the most recent git version, or with 1.7.1 provided as a
precompiled package by cygwin. This behavior does not happen on cygwin32
(I always get the FloatingPointError there).

I wonder if there is something weird with my config, or if this is a
genuine reproducible bug. If so, where should I start looking if I want
to fix it? (I don't know anything about numpy's code)

Sebastien