[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: Deprecate np.int, np.float, etc.?

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 14:19:47 EDT 2015

Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> we get away with np.float, because every OS/compiler that gets any regular
> use has np.float == a c double, which is always 64 bit.

Not if we are passing an array of np.float to a ac routine that expects
float*, e.g. in OpenGL, BLAS or LAPACK. That will for sure give crazy
results, just hang, or segfault.

I got away with pisting a PR with a "bugfix" which supposedly should fix a
case of precision loss in a SciPy routine, because I thought np.float was
np.float32 and not np.float64 (which it is). But it did make me feel rather
stupid.

Sturla