[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: Deprecate np.int, np.float, etc.?

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 31 03:38:57 EDT 2015

On 31.07.2015 08:24, Jason Newton wrote:
> Been using numpy in it's various forms since like 2005.  burned on int,
> int_ just today with boost.python / ndarray conversions and a number of
> times before that.  intc being C's int!? Didn't even know it existed
> till today.  This isn't the first time, esp with float.  Bool is
> actually expected for me and I'd prefer it stay 1 byte for storage
> efficiency - I'll use a long if I want it machine word wide.

A long is only machine word wide on posix, in windows its not. This
nonsense is unfortunately also in numpy. It also affects dtype=int.
The correct word size type is actually np.intp.

btw. if something needs deprecating it is np.float128, this is the most
confusing type name in all of numpy as its precision is actually a 80
bit in most cases (x86), 64 bit sometimes (arm) and very rarely actually
128 bit (sparc).