[Numpy-discussion] DEP: Deprecate boolean array indices with non-matching shape #4353

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Fri Jun 5 11:45:27 EDT 2015

On Fr, 2015-06-05 at 08:36 -0400, josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

<snip>

> What is actually being deprecated?
> It looks like there are different examples.
>

> wrong length: Nathaniels first example above, where the mask is not
> broadcastable to original array because mask is longer or shorter than
> shape[axis].
> I also wouldn't have expected this to work, although I use np.nozero
> and boolean mask indexing interchangeably, I would assume we need the
> correct length for the mask.

For the moment we are only talking about wrong length (along a given
dimension). Not about wrong number of dimensions or multiple boolean
indices.
As a side note: I don't think the single boolean index behaviour needs
change, it is ok. Yes, it is not quite broadcasting, but there is no
help considering transparent multidimensional indexing.
As for multiple booleans, I think is more part of the "outer" indexing
discussion, which is interesting but not here :).

- Sebastian