[Numpy-discussion] Clarification sought on Scipy Numpy version requirements.

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 09:14:22 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 11:52 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 3:05 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm looking to change some numpy deprecations into errors as well as
>> remove
>> > some deprecated functions. The problem I see is that
>> > SciPy claims to support Numpy >= 1.5 and Numpy 1.5 is really, really,
>> old.
>> > So the question is, does "support" mean compiles with earlier versions
>> > of Numpy ?
>>
>> It means there is a Travis CI build with NumPy 1.6.2. So any change to the
>> SciPy source code must compile with NumPy 1.6 and any later version of
>> NumPy.
>>
>> There is no Travis CI build with NumPy 1.5. I don't think we know for sure
>> if it is really compatible with the current SciPy.
>>

> I guess this also raises the question of what versions of Scipy Numpy
> needs to support.

I'd treat Scipy like any other popular package that depends on Numpy. If a
change in Numpy would break a Scipy version released in say the last 1.5
years, then that's a problem. If it's a quite old Scipy, then it may be OK.

I'm thinking of removing the noprefix.h, but it doesn't cost to leave it in
> as it must be explicitly included by anyone who needs it. Hmm, maybe best
> to leave it be, although I suspect anyone using it could just as well use
> an earlier version of Numpy.

Does noprefix.h even give you a deprecation warning now? Doesn't look like
it to me, which means it should be left alone for quite a while.

Ralf