[Numpy-discussion] numpy pickling problem - python 2 vs. python 3

Ryan Nelson rnelsonchem at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:37:03 EST 2015

Arnd,

I can see where this is an issue. If you are trying to update your code for
Py3, I still think that it would really help to add a version attribute of
some sort to your new HDF files. You can then write a little check in your
access code that looks for this variable. If it is not present, you know
that it is an old file, and you can use the trick that I gave you.
Otherwise, it will process the file as normal. It could even throw a little
error saying that the file is outdated. You could write a small conversion
script that could run through old files and reprocess them into the new
format. Fortunately, Python is pretty good at automating tasks, even for
hundreds of files :)
It might be informative to ask at the PyTables list to see what they've
done. The Pandas folks also do a lot with HDF files, and they have
certainly worked their way through the Py2-3 transition. Also, because this
is an issue with Python pickle, a quick note on SO might get some hits. I
tried your script using a lists of list, rather than a list of arrays, and
the same problem still persists, so as Pauli notes this is going to be a
problem regardless of the type of attributes you set, I think your just
going to have to hard code some kind of check in your code to switch
behavior. I recently switched to using Py3 exclusively, and although it was
painful at first, I'm quite happy with Py3 overall. I also use the Anaconda
Python distribution, which makes it very easy to have Py2 and Py3
environments if you need to switch back and forth.
Sorry if that doesn't help much. Just some thoughts from my recent
conversion experiences.

Ryan