[Numpy-discussion] MKL ValueError: On entry to DLASCL parameter number 5 had an illegal value

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 13:50:35 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 10:33 AM, <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I got a illegal value message using MKL on Windows 64 while running the
>> statsmodels test suite.
>>
>> Kevin is getting the same with more information, which indicates that it
>> might be numpy.linalg.svd
>>
>> https://github.com/statsmodels/statsmodels/issues/2308#issuecomment-78086656
>>
>> Is this serious?
>>
>> I'm just setting up a new computer and haven't investigated yet.
>> Given the name of the test class, this might be a warning for an inf or
>> nan, then it would be our problem in statsmodels
>>

> What version of Numpy? Does this also happen if you aren't using MKL? The dlascl
> reference
> <http://www.netlib.org/lapack/explore-html/de/d3c/dlascl_8f.html> is
> here. It is possible that the problem being solved is numerically sensitive
> and that the treatment of underflow/overflow due to compiler flags might be
> producing zeros or infs.

nosetests says NumPy version 1.9.2rc1
Version is from winpython which I guess uses Gohlke binaries.

It didn't show up with official numpy in 32bit python, and it doesn't show
up on TravisCI.

In contrast to Kevin, I don't get any info or test failure

M:\Notes>nosetests --pdb --pdb-failures -v
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.Test
MissingArray
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_raise_no_missing ...
ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_raise ... ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_drop ... ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_none ...
Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 4 was incorrect on entry to DLASCL.

Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 5 was incorrect on entry to DLASCL.

Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 4 was incorrect on entry to DLASCL.

Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 5 was incorrect on entry to DLASCL.
ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_endog_only_raise ...
ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_endog_only_drop ...
ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_mv_endog ... ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_extra_kwargs_2d ...
ok
statsmodels.base.tests.test_data.TestMissingArray.test_extra_kwargs_1d ...
ok

Ran 9 tests in 0.049s

OK

However based on the testcase, it looks like we call np.linalg.svd with an
array that contains nans,
DLASCL might then be used internally in the svd calculations

Josef