[Numpy-discussion] Introductory mail and GSoc Project "Vector math library integration"

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 10:22:43 EDT 2015

There are several vector math libraries NumPy could use, e.g. MKL/VML,
Apple Accelerate (vecLib), ACML, and probably others.

They all suffer from requiring dense arrays and specific array
alignments, whereas NumPy arrays have very flexible strides and flexible
alignment. NumPy also has ufuncs and gufuncs as a complicating factor.

There are at least two ways to proceed here. One is to only use vector
math when strides and alignment allow it. The other is to build a vector
math library specifically for NumPy arrays and (g)ufuncs. The latter you
will most likely not be able to do in a summer.

You should also consider Numba and Numexpr. They have some support for
vector math libraries too.

Sturla