[Numpy-discussion] Introductory mail and GSoc Project "Vector math library integration"

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:19:55 EDT 2015

On 11/03/15 23:20, Dp Docs wrote:

> ​​​So we are supposed to integrate just one of these libraries?

As a Mac user I would be annoyed if we only supported MKL and not
Accelerate Framework. AMD LibM should be supported too.

MKL is non-free, but we use it for BLAS and LAPACK. AMD LibM is non-free
in a similar manner. Acelerate Framework (vecLib) is a part of Apple's
operating systems. You can abstract out the differences.

Eigen is C++. We do not use C++ in NumPy, only C, Python and some
Cython. C++ and Fortran can be used in SciPy, but not in NumPy.

Apple's reference is here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Performance/Conceptual/vecLib/index.html

AMD's information is here:

http://developer.amd.com/tools-and-sdks/cpu-development/libm/

(Vector math functions seem to be moved from ACML to LibM)

Intel's reference is here:

https://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/doclib/iss/2013/mkl/mklman/GUID-59EC4B87-29C8-4FB4-B57C-D269E6364954.htm

Sturla