[Numpy-discussion] Porting C to Python

Marcos . marcospc6 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:02:58 EDT 2015

Dear colleagues,

My name is Marcos Chaves, I'm an undergraduate student from Brazil. I study
at the State University of Campinas, currently at the end of my graduation.

I'm deeply interested in applying to GSOC this year, specifically to work
with NumPy.

About some months ago me and my friends at work started porting some legacy
C/C++ code to Python, a code that we used to evaluate some images using
OpenCV. We made use of NumPy and I liked it. I believe I can be of some
help in making it better, particularly in solving the issue with porting
parts of it from C (while maintaining optimal performance).

I've never contributed to NumPy in any way and I see that its a requirement
for me to apply for such task. I would like to know if there's a way I can
participate, because the end of student registration is coming soon and I'm
not sure if there is enough time for me to do something like that, but I'm
interested.

Some input from the potential mentor, Nathaniel Smith, along with some
extra info on this task would be very nice for me.

Thank you!