[Numpy-discussion] Bug in np.nonzero / Should index returning functions return ndarray subclasses?

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Sat May 9 21:53:42 EDT 2015

With regards to np.where -- shouldn't where be a ufunc, so subclasses or other array-likes can be control its behavior with __numpy_ufunc__?

As for the other indexing functions, I don't have a strong opinion about how they should handle subclasses. But it is certainly tricky to attempt to handle handle arbitrary subclasses. I would agree that the least error prone thing to do is usually to return base ndarrays. Better to force subclasses to override methods explicitly.