[Numpy-discussion] Proposed deprecations for 1.10: dot corner cases

Alan G Isaac alan.isaac at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:53:46 EDT 2015

On 5/11/2015 3:52 PM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> Not sure what you mean. It's true that PEP 465 doesn't say anything about np.dot, because it's out of scope. The argument here, though, is not "PEP
> 465 says we have to do this". It's that it's confusing to have two different subtly different sets of semantics, and the PEP semantics are better
> (that's why we chose them), so we should at a minimum warn people who are getting the old behavior

I would have to dig around, but I am pretty sure there were explicit statements
that `@` would neither be bound by the behavior of `dot` nor expected to be
reconciled with it.

I agree that where `@` and `dot` differ in behavior, this should be clearly documented.
I would hope that the behavior of `dot` would not change.

Alan