[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun May 17 15:11:25 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 7:50 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 8:22 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla.molden at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, unfortunately we can't put MKL binaries on pypi because of the
> >> MKL license - see
> >
> > I believe we can, because we asked Intel for permission. From what I
heard
> > the response was positive.
>
> We would need something formal from Intel saying that they do not
> require us to hold our users to their standard redistribution terms
> and that they waive the requirement that we be responsible for any
> damage to Intel that happens as a result of people using our binaries.
>
> I'm guessing we don't have this, but I'm happy to be corrected,

I don't think permission from Intel is the blocking issue for putting these
binaries up on PyPI. Even with Intel's permission, we would be putting up
proprietary binaries on a page that is explicitly claiming that the files
linked therein are BSD-licensed. The binaries could not be redistributed
with any GPLed module, say, pygsl.

We could host them on numpy.org on their own page that clearly explained
the license of those files, but I think PyPI is out.

--
Robert Kern