[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon May 18 00:14:56 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Binaries which crash for ~1% of users (which ATLAS-SSE2 would result in)
> are still not acceptable I think.

what instruction set would an OpenBLAS build support? wouldn't we still
need to select a lowest common denominator instructions set to support?

And SEE2 was introduced with the Pentium 4in 2001 -- that is a very long
time ago!

I think the 1% number came from a survey of firefox downloads -- that may
well not be representative of the numpy-using population.

and depending on HOW it failed, 1% might be OK if we could give a
reasonable error message (which maybe we can't...)

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov