[Numpy-discussion] binary wheels for numpy?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Mon May 18 00:27:57 EDT 2015

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think permission from Intel is the blocking issue for putting
>> these binaries up on PyPI. Even with Intel's permission, we would be putting
>> up proprietary binaries on a page that is explicitly claiming that the files
>> linked therein are BSD-licensed. The binaries could not be redistributed
>> with any GPLed module, say, pygsl.
>>
>> We could host them on numpy.org on their own page that clearly explained
>> the license of those files, but I think PyPI is out.
>
> Can't PyPi re-direct -- so they can actualy be hosted somewhere else, but
> "pip install numpy" would still work?

There's two issues here: (1) we can't actually use the intel stuff
(MKL, icc) under its regular license without having our release
managers accepting personal liability. Which isn't going to happen.
(2) The problem isn't whether they're hosted on PyPI, it's whether the
people downloading them get warned about what they're downloading. The
whole point is that we *don't* want 'pip install numpy' to work in
this case, because it's too seamless.

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org