[Numpy-discussion] Backwards-incompatible improvements to numpy.random.RandomState

Anne Archibald archibald at astron.nl
Sun May 24 11:13:49 EDT 2015

Do we want a deprecation-like approach, so that eventually people who want
replicability will specify versions, and everyone else gets bug fixes and
improvements? This would presumably take several major versions, but it
might avoid people getting unintentionally trapped on this version.

Incidentally, bug fixes are complicated: if a bug fix uses more or fewer
raw random numbers, it breaks repeatability not just for the call that got
fixed but for all successive random number generations.

Anne