[Numpy-discussion] Backwards-incompatible improvements to numpy.random.RandomState

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sun May 24 16:30:59 EDT 2015

On 24/05/15 10:22, Antony Lee wrote:

> Comments, and help for writing tests (in particular to make sure
> backwards compatibility is maintained) are welcome.

I have one comment, and that is what makes random numbers so special?
This applies to the rest of NumPy too, fixing a bug can sometimes change
the output of a function.

Personally I think we should only make guarantees about the data types,
array shapes, and things like that, but not about the values. Those who
need a particular version of NumPy for exact reproducibility should
install the version of Python and NumPy they need. That is why virtual
environments exist.

I am sure a lot will disagree with me on this. So please don't take this
as flamebait.

Sturla