[Numpy-discussion] Verify your sourceforge windows installer downloads

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu May 28 10:00:38 EDT 2015

Migrating from SourceForge seems worth considering. I also
agree this is a breach of trust with the open source community.

It is my impression that the GIMP team stopped using SF for
downloads some time ago in favour of using their own website,
leaving the SF account live to maintain the old release downloads:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2015-May/msg00098.html

According to the SourceForge blog, they assumed the "GIMP for
Windows" account was abandoned, and it appears SF decided
to make some money off it as a mirror site offering adware-bundled
versions of the official releases:

http://sourceforge.net/blog/gimp-win-project-wasnt-hijacked-just-abandoned/

We would not want the same thing to happen to NumPy, but on
the other hand deleting all the old releases on SourceForge
would break a vast number of installation scripts/recipes.

Peter