[Numpy-discussion] Verify your sourceforge windows installer downloads

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun May 31 21:43:11 EDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Benjamin Root <ben.root at ou.edu> wrote:

> Speaking from the matplotlib project, our binaries are substantial due to
> our suite of test images. Pypi worked with us on relaxing size constraints.
> Also, I think the new cheese shop/warehouse server they are using scales
> better, so size is not nearly the same concern as before.
>
> Ben Root
> On May 29, 2015 1:43 AM, "Todd" <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On May 28, 2015 7:06 PM, "David Cournapeau" <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > They don't accept arbitrary binaries like SF does, and some of our
>> installer formats can't be uploaded there.
>> >
>> > David
>>
>> Is that something that could be fixed?

For the current .exe installers that cannot be fixed, because neither pip
nor easy_install can handle those. We actually have to ensure that we don't
link from pypi directly to the sourceforge folder with the latest release,
because then easy_install will follow the link, download the .exe and fail.

Dmg's were another non-supported format, but we'll stop using those. So
if/when it's SSE2 .exe installers only (make with bdist_wininst and no
NSIS) then PyPi works. Size constraints are not an issue for Numpy I think.

Ralf

Has anyone asked the pypi maintainers whether they could change those