[Numpy-discussion] matmul needs some clarification.

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Sat May 30 18:23:47 EDT 2015

Hi All,

The problem arises when multiplying a stack of matrices times a vector.
PEP465 defines this as appending a '1' to the dimensions of the vector and
doing the defined stacked matrix multiply, then removing the last dimension
from the result. Note that in the middle step we have a stack of matrices
and after removing the last dimension we will still have a stack of
matrices. What we want is a stack of vectors, but we can't have those with
our conventions. This makes the result somewhat unexpected. How should we
resolve this?

Chuck