[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Nov 6 16:56:45 EST 2015

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 5:57 PM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2. ``pip install .`` silences build output, which may make sense for some
>> usecases, but for numpy it just sits there for minutes with no output after
>> printing "Running setup.py install for numpy". Users will think it hangs and
>> Ctrl-C it. https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/2732
>
> I tend to agree with the commentary there that for end users this is
> different but no worse than the current situation where we spit out
> pages of "errors" that don't mean anything :-). I posted a suggestion
> on that bug that might help with the apparent hanging problem.

For the record, this is now fixed in pip's "develop" branch and should
be in the next release. For commands like 'setup.py install', pip now
displays a spinner that ticks over whenever the underlying process
prints to stdout/stderr. So if the underlying process hangs, then the
spinner will stop (it's not just lying to you), but normally it works
nicely.

https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/3224

-n

--