[Numpy-discussion] Misleading/erroneous TypeError message

Peter Creasey p.e.creasey.00 at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:42:19 EST 2015

Hi,

I just upgraded my numpy and started to received a TypeError from one of my
codes that relied on the old, less strict, casting behaviour. The error
message, however, left me scratching my head when trying to debug something
like this:

>>> a = array([0],dtype=uint64)
>>> a += array([1],dtype=int64)
TypeError: Cannot cast ufunc add output from dtype('float64') to
dtype('uint64') with casting rule 'same_kind'

Where does the 'float64' come from?!?!

Peter

PS Thanks for all the great work guys, numpy is a fantastic tool and has
been a lot of help to me over the years!