[Numpy-discussion] Making datetime64 timezone naive

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Oct 13 18:21:07 EDT 2015

On Oct 12, 2015 11:48 AM, "Alexander Belopolsky" <ndarray at mac.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 3:10 AM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The tentative consensus from last year's discussion was that we should
make datetime64 timezone naive, like the standard library's
datetime.datetime

> If you are going to make datetime64 more like datetime.datetime, please
consider adding the "fold" bit.  See PEP 495. [1]

> [1]: https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0495/

The challenge here is that we literally do not have a bit too use :-)
Unless we make it datetime65 + 63 bits of padding, stealing a bit to use
for fold would halve the range of representable times, and I'm guessing
this would not be acceptable? -- pandas's 64-bits-of-nanoseconds already
has a somewhat narrow range (584 years).

I think for now the two goals are to make the built in datetime64 minimally
functional and self consistent, and to make it possible for fancier
datetime needs to be handled using third party dtypes.

-n