[Numpy-discussion] how is toolchain selected for compiling (OS X with python.org build)?

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 11:49:17 EDT 2015

This isn't, strictly speaking, a numpy question, but I suspect it's
something that numpy devs and users have some insight into.

I am trying to compile an extension that requires a fairly advanced c++
compiler. Using the built-in apple python, it defaults to the latest
clang from apple, and it works just fine.

Using the python.org framework build, it still selects clang, which is
in principle a new enough compiler, but for some reason it seems to end
up pointing to /usr/include/c++/4.2.1/ which of course is too old, and
the build fails.

So the questions I have are:

  - *why* is it using such an old toolchain (I am pretty sure that the
answer is backward compatibility, and specifically because that is the
way the framework build python is itself compiled).

  - *how* is it selecting those tools, and in particular, that include
directory? It doesn't seem to explicitly show up in the logs, until
there's an error. If I just use the same clang invocation as seems to be
used by the build, it is able to compile full C++-11 code...

  - Is there any way to still use the apple clang, but in full c++-11
mode to build extensions?

The solution/workaround is to install and then explicitly select a more
advanced compiler, e.g., from homebrew, using environment variables, but
it would be nice if it could work out of the box, and ideally with the
same behaviour as with apple's python build.

-Andrew

p.s. for the aficionados, this is for [healpy][1], and we're looking at
it with [this issue][2].

[1]: https://github.com/healpy
[2]: https://github.com/healpy/healpy/issues/284#issuecomment-148354405