[Numpy-discussion] Interesting discussion on copyrighting files.

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 13:24:45 EDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Worth a read at A&D <http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6867#more-6867>.

Thanks, it is worth a read.

Most of the time when I see code copied from scipy or statsmodels, it is
properly attributed.
But every once in a while (like just now) I see code in an interesting
sounding package on github where I start to recognize parts because they
have my code comments still left in but don't have an attribution to the
origin.

It's almost ok if it's MIT or BSD licensed because then I can "borrow back"
the changes, but not if the new license is GPL.

This is to the point in the discussion of seeing modules or functions that
got isolated from the parent package.

Josef
(slightly grumpy)