[Numpy-discussion] Making datetime64 timezone naive

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:12:19 EDT 2015

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 12:34 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
wrote:

> Also -- I think we are at phase one of a (at least) two step process:
>
> 1) clean up datetime64 just enough that it is useful, and less error-prone
> -- i.e. have it not pretend to support anything other than naive datetimes.
>
> 2) Do it right -- perhaps adding some time zone support. This is going to
> wait until the numpy dtype machinery is cleaned up some.

I agree with Chris. My intent with this work for now (for NumPy 1.11) is
simply to complete phase 1. Once NumPy stops pretending to be time zone
aware (and with a few other small cleanups), datetime64 will be far more
useable. For major fixes, we'll have to wait until dtype support is better.

Alexander -- by "mst" I think Chris meant "most".

Best,
Stephan