[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 09:07:56 EDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 8:28 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > I just discovered https://bitbucket.org/dholth/setup-requires, which
>> ensures
>> > that setup_requires uses pip instead of easy_install. So we can not only
>> > keep setup-requires working, but make it work significantly better.
>>
>> IIUC this is not something that we (= numpy) could use ourselves, but
>> instead something that everyone who does setup_requires=["numpy"]
>> would have to set up in their individual projects?
>>

> Right. I was thinking about using it in scipy. Ah well, I'm sure we can
> manage to not break ``setup_requires=numpy`` in some way.

What's the equivalent of
python setup.py build_ext --inplace

brief google search (I didn't follow up on those)

https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/1887
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/18

Given that I rely completely on binary distributions for numpy and scipy, I
won't be affected.

(I'm still allergic to pip and will switch only several years after
everybody else.)

Josef