[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue Oct 27 11:18:29 EDT 2015

On Oct 27, 2015 6:48 AM, "James E.H. Turner" <jehturner at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Apparently it is not well known that if you have a Python project
>> source tree (e.g., a numpy checkout), then the correct way to install
>> it is NOT to type
>>
>>    python setup.py install   # bad and broken!
>>
>> but rather to type
>>
>>    pip install .
>

> Though I haven't studied it exhaustively, it always seems to me that
> pip is bad & broken, whereas python setup.py install does what I
> expect (even if it's a mess internally).

Unfortunately this is only true if what you expect is for packages to be
installed in subtly corrupted ways, as described in the original email.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings :-/

> In particular, when
> maintaining a distribution of Python packages, you try to have some
> well-defined, reproducible build from source tarballs and then you
> find that pip is going off and downloading stuff under the radar
> without being asked (etc.). Stopping that can be a pain & I always
> groan whenever some package insists on using pip. Maybe I don't
> understand it well enough but in this role its dependency handling
> is an unnecessary complication with no purpose.

There are two cases where a 'pip install' run might go off and start
downloading packages without asking you:

- if the project is using setuptools with setup_requires=..., then the
setup.py itself will go off and start downloading things without asking.
This has nothing to do with pip. The way Debian prevents this is that they
always define an intentionally invalid http_proxy environment variable
before building any python package.

- if the project has declared that they do not work without some other
package installed via install_requires=... For this case, if you really
know what you're doing and you intentionally want to install a
non-functional configuration (which yeah, a package build tool might indeed
want to do), then just add --no-deps to the pip install command line. Maybe
add --no-index and/or the magic http_proxy setting if you want to be extra
sure.

> Just a comment that
> not every installation is someone trying to get numpy on their
> laptop...

Sure, we're well aware of the importance of downstream packagers -- part of
the point of having this email thread is to smoke out such non-trivial use
cases. (And note that worst case if you decide that you'd rather take your
chances with setup.py install, then that's why the proposal includes an
escape hatch of passing a special --force switch.)

But unless you're somehow planning to disable pip entirely in your
distribution, so that end users have to get upgrades through your tools
rather than using pip, then you do probably want to think about how to
provide accurate pip-style metadata. (And even then it doesn't hurt.)

-n