[Numpy-discussion] OK to upload patched 1.9.2 for Python 3.5?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 04:32:13 EDT 2015

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 1:22 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just building numpy 1.9.2 for Python 3.5 (just released).
>>
>> In order to get the tests to pass on Python 3.5, I need to cherry pick
>> commit 7d6aa8c onto the 1.9.2 tag position.
>>
>> Does anyone object to me uploading a wheel built from this patched
>> version to pypi as 1.9.2 for Python 3.5 on OSX?   It would help to get
>> the ball rolling for Python 3.5 binary wheels.
>

> Why not releasing this as 1.9.3 ? It does not need to be a full release
> (with binaries and all), but having multiple sources for a given tag is
> confusing.

Generally OK with me, but it's quite a bit of extra work for very
little gain.  We'd have to tag, release a source tarball and OSX
wheels, at least.

The patch being cherry-picked is just deleting some legacy
monkey-patching of gzip:

https://github.com/numpy/numpy/commit/7d6aa8c721d5274ac57d0c87685d472cb1fd7948

and it's difficult for me to imagine this could cause a problem with
source differences.

Cheers,

Matthew