[Numpy-discussion] The process I intend to follow for any proposed changes to NumPy

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 14 13:46:51 EDT 2015

Travis,

I'm sure you appreciate that this might all look a bit scary, given the
recent discussion about numpy governance.

But it's an open-source project, and I, at least, fully understand that
going through a big process is NOT the way to get a new idea tried out and
implemented. So I think think this is a great development -- I know I want
to see something like this dtype work done.

So, as someone who has been around this community for a long time, and
dependent on Numeric, numarray, and numpy over the years, this looks like a
great development.

And, in fact, with the new governance effort -- I think less scary --
people can go off and work on a branch or fork, do good stuff, and we, as a
community, can be assured that API (or even ABI) changes won't be thrust
upon us unawares :-)

As for the technical details -- I get a bit lost, not fully understanding
the current dtype system either, but do your ideas take us in the direction
of having dtypes independent of the container and ufunc machinery -- and
thus easier to create new dtypes (even in Python?) 'cause that would be
great.

I hope you find the partner you're looking for -- that's a challenge!

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov