[Numpy-discussion] Governance model request

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Tue Sep 22 04:50:41 EDT 2015

> > May? Can you elaborate? More speculation. My own position is that
> > these projects want to integrate with NumPy, not the
> > converse. Regardless of my opinion, can you actually make any specific
> > arguements, one way or the otehr? What if if some integrations
> > actually make more sense for the community? Is this simply a dogmatic
> > ideological position that anything whatsoever that benefits both NumPy
> > and Continuum simultaneously is bad, on principle? That's fine, as
> > such, but let's make that position explicit if that's all it is.
>
> No, I don't have such a dogmatic ideological position.  I think,
> however, that it is somewhat unimaginative to propose that there are no
> potential conflicts whatsoever.
>
> I am happy if we can find solutions that benefit both numpy and any
> company out there.  But in the end, I'm sure you'd agree that we want
> the decisions that lead to such solutions to be taken in the best
> interest of the project, and not be weighed by alterior motivations of
> any sorts.  In the end, even the *perception* that that is not the case
> can be very harmful.

I will only comment on the last point.   I completely agree that the
*perception* that this is not the case can be harmful.

But, what concerns me is where this perception comes from --- from actual
evidence of anything that is not in the best interests of the project ---
or just ideological differences of opinion about the way the world works
and the perceptions around open source and markets.   It is quite easy for
someone to spread FUD about companies that contribute to open source ---
and it has the effect of discouraging companies from continuing to
contribute to community projects.    This removes a huge amount of
potential support from projects.

In NumPy's case in particular, this kind of attitude basically guarantees
that I won't be able to contribute effectively and potentially even people
I fund to contribute might not be accepted --- not because we can't
faithfully participate in the same spirit that we have always contributed
to SciPy and NumPy and other open source projects --- but because people
are basically going to question things just because.

What exactly do you need me to say to get you to believe that I have
nothing but the best interests of array computing in Python at heart?

The only thing that is different between me today and me 18 years ago is
that 1) I have more resources now, 2) I have more knowledge about computer
science and software architecture and 3) I have more experience with how
NumPy gets used.    All I can do is continue to try and make things better
the best way I know how.

-Travis

--

*Travis Oliphant*