[Numpy-discussion] Governance model request

Benjamin Root ben.v.root at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 14:48:14 EDT 2015

To expand on Ryan's point a bit about recusal... this is why we have a
general policy against self-merging and why peer review is so valuable. A
ban on self-merging is much like recusal, and I think it is a fantastic
policy.

As for a BDFL, I used to like that idea having seen it work well for Linux
and Python, but I have found it at odds with the policy of recusal and no
self-merging. That said, as I am sure Thomas Caswell can attest, a
non-self-merging policy can result in a lot of ideas getting stalled,
waiting for review that may or may not happen. I don't know what the
solution is, but I am sympathetic to those who are apprehensive about a
BDFL -- regardless of who is in that role.

Ben Root