[Numpy-discussion] Governance model request

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 16:36:35 EDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I see a severe reaction to perceived 'suspicion and innuendo', but I
> see no 'suspicion and innuendo'.  Unless you mean that any suggestion
> of potential conflict of interest is suspicion and innuendo.

No, as I said, COIs are absolutely a fact of life, and *should* be talked
about, openly and directly.  I was referring generically about the tone of
this thread, that Ryan described as "bizarre", others as "surpised",
"disheartened", etc.

> You imply rudeness and bad faith when you say this.  I suppose this
> must be aimed at me or Stefan or both of us.  In any case, I think the
> accusation is unhelpful and unfair.   It makes this discussion more
> difficult to have in the future.

It was sincerely my intention to frame my critique in a specific way that
made the discussion *easier* to have in the future, precisely by
acknowledging that COIs were part of life, and not only for commercial
entities.

I was NOT implying that Stefan and you were somehow guilty of anything, I
only mentioned your names when I asked Travis not to paint Berkeley folks
with a broad brush, that's all.

If only the two of you took offense at my wording, in the interest of
keeping this already contentious and fraught thread contained, I offer:

a) a public apology for my choice of words, since it was certainly not my
intent to offend you, and I was not aiming at you personally.

b) a suggestion that we discuss it further personally, taking advantage of
the fact that we happen to be physically close.

If anyone else would like me to answer in public because they feel a slight
on my part, I will do so.

Best,