[Numpy-discussion] composition of the steering council (was Re: Governance model request)

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Wed Sep 23 17:21:27 EDT 2015

> Regarding the seed council, I just tried to pick an objective
> criterion and an arbitrary date that seemed generally in keeping with
> idea of "should be active in the last 1-to-2-years-ish". Fiddling with
> the exact date in particular makes very little difference -- between
> pushing it back to 2 years ago today or forward to 1 year ago today,
> the only thing that changes is whether Pauli makes the list or not.
> (And Pauli is obviously a great council candidate, though I don't know
> whether he even wants to be on it.)
>
> > Personally, I have no idea how big the council should be. Too big, and
> > there is no point, consensus is harder to reach the larger the group,
> > and the main (only?) role of the council is to resolve issues where
> > consensus has not been reached in the larger community. But what is
> > too big?
>

> > As for make-up of the council, I think we need to expand beyond people
> > who have recently contributed core code.
> >
> > Yes, the council does need to have expertise to make technical
> > decisions, but if you think about the likely contentious issues like
> > ABI breakage, a core-code focused view is incomplete. So there should
> > be representation by:
> >
> > Someone(s) with a long history of working with the code -- that
> > institutional memory of why decisions were made the way they were
> > could be key.
>
> Sure -- though I can't really imagine any way of framing a rule like
> this that *wouldn't* be satisfied by Chuck + Ralf + Pauli, so my guess
> is that such a rule would not actually have any effect on the council
> membership in practice.

As the original author of NumPy, I would like to be on the seed council as
long as it is larger than 7 people.    That is my proposal.    I don't need
to be a permanent member, but I do believe I have enough history that I can
understand issues even if I haven't been working on code directly.

I think I do bring history and information that provides all of the history
that could be helpful on occasion.     In addition, if a matter is
important enough to even be brought to the attention of this council, I
would like to be involved in the discussion about it.

It's a simple change to the text --- basically an explanation that Travis
requested to be on the seed council.

-Travis