[Numpy-discussion] composition of the steering council (was Re: Governance model request)

Travis Oliphant travis at continuum.io
Thu Sep 24 20:30:23 EDT 2015

> [1] Sorry to "footnote" this, but I think I am probably rudely repeating
> myself and frankly do **not want this to be discussed**. It is just to
> try to be fully clear where I come from:
> Until SciPy 2015, I could list many people on this list who have shown
> more direct involvement in numpy then Travis since I joined and have no
> affiliation to numpy. If Travis had been new to the community at the
> time, I would be surprised if I would even recognize his name.
> I know this is only half the picture and Travis already mentioned
> another side, but this is what I mostly saw even if it may be a harsh
> and rude assessment.

I do understand this.   That's actually why I'm speaking up, because I
don't think my activity has been understood by many people who have joined
this list only recently.   I don't want to interfere with your activity or
impede your progress, or to be asked permission for anything.   In fact, I
want to understand how to best use my limited time to support things.

You in particular are interested in indexing and fixing it --- the current
code is there for a reason and some of the issues being discussed today
have been discussed before --- though we have the benefit of hindsight now.

I have mostly been behind the scenes helping people since about 2010 ---
but still thinking a lot about NumPy, the downstream community, integration
with other libraries, and where things could go.     I don't have the time
to commit major code changes, but I do have the time to contribute
perspective and even a design idea or two from time to time.    Obviously,
nobody has to listen.

I understand and appreciate that there are a lot of people that have
contributed code and discussion since 2009 and to them it probably seems
I'm just popping in and out --- and if you only look at the contributor log
you can wonder "who is this guy...".     But, I did do *a lot* of work to
get NumPy off the ground.   Quite a bit of that work was very lonely with
people interested in the merger but pretty skeptical until the work was
nearly done (and then many people helped finish it and get it working and
tested).     I wish I had been a better architect at the time (I can see
now many things that would have been done differently).    But, I'm still
proud of the work I did in creating a foundation many could build on --- at
the time nobody else was stepping up to do the job.

Since that time, I have remained very interested in the success of NumPy
and supporting the many *users* of NumPy.     What I most bring to the
current community is having observed many, many uses of NumPy in the wild
--- from people who would never post to this list and whose use-cases are
absent from discussion or misunderstood.      I also bring knowledge about
the wider Python ecosystem and the broader world outside of NumPy alone.
The group is free to take my ideas and/or contributions or leave them.
 And I am also free to just review pull requests and contribute if and when
I might.

Best,

-Travis

> > Chuck