[Numpy-discussion] linux wheels coming soon

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:26:27 EDT 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.v.root at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are we going to have to have documentation somewhere making it clear that
> the numpy wheel shouldn't be used in a conda environment? Not that I would
> expect this issue to come up all that often, but I could imagine a scenario
> where a non-scientist is simply using a base conda distribution because that
> is what IT put on their system. Then they do "pip install ipython" that
> indirectly brings in numpy (through the matplotlib dependency), and end up
> with an incompatible numpy because they would have been linked against
> different pythons?
>
> Or is this not an issue?

I'm afraid I don't know conda at all, but I'm guessing that pip will
not install numpy when it is installed via conda.

So the potential difference is that, pre-wheel, if numpy was not
installed in your conda environment, then pip would build numpy from
source, whereas now you'll get a binary install.

I _think_ that Python's binary API specification
(pip.pep425tags.get_abi_tag()) should prevent pip from installing an
incompatible wheel.  Are there any conda experts out there who can
give more detail, or more convincing assurance?

Cheers,

Matthew