[Numpy-discussion] linux wheels coming soon

Olivier Grisel olivier.grisel at ensta.org
Sun Apr 17 06:05:10 EDT 2016

I tried on trusty and is also picked
numpy-1.11.0-cp27-cp27mu-manylinux1_x86_64.whl using the system python
2.7 (in a virtualenv with pip 8.1.1):

>>> import pip
>>> pip.pep425tags.get_abi_tag()
'cp27mu'

Outside of the virtualenv I still have the pip version from ubuntu
trusty and it does cannot detect ABI tags:

$ /usr/bin/pip --version
pip 1.5.4 from /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages (python 2.7)

>>> import pip
>>> pip.pep425tags.get_abi_tag()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'get_abi_tag'

But we don't really care because manylinux1 wheels can only be
installed by pip 8.1 and later. Previous versions of pip should just
ignore those wheels and try to install from the source tarball
instead.

--
Olivier