[Numpy-discussion] Which NumPy/Numpy/numpy spelling?

Bartosz Telenczuk mail at telenczuk.pl
Mon Aug 29 09:22:13 EDT 2016

Hi,

I would not mind any choice as long as it's consistent.

I agree that using all-lowercase spelling may avoid some common errors. However,
PEP8 requires all module/package names to be lower case [1].  If we force the
name of the library and the corresponding package to be the same, all Python
libraries would be named in lowercase. This would not be the best choice for
libraries, which have multi-component names (like NumPy = Numerical Python).

Note also that both the Wikipedia page [2] and the official NumPy logo [3] use
"NumPy" spelling.

Some other popular [4] libraries use similar dichotomies:

- Django - import django
- Cython - import cython
- PyYAML - import yaml
- scikit-learn - import sklearn

On the other hand all standard Python libraries are lower-case named.

Cheers,

Bartosz

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/#package-and-module-names
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NumPy