[Numpy-discussion] State-of-the-art to use a C/C++ library from Python

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:23:57 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Michael Bieri <mibieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> There are several ways on how to use C/C++ code from Python with NumPy,
as given in http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/c-info.html . Furthermore,
there's at least pybind11.

> I'm not quite sure which approach is state-of-the-art as of 2016. How
would you do it if you had to make a C/C++ library available in Python
right now?

> In my case, I have a C library with some scientific functions on matrices
and vectors. You will typically call a few functions to configure the
computation, then hand over some pointers to existing buffers containing
vector data, then start the computation, and finally read back the data.
The library also can use MPI to parallelize.

I usually reach for Cython:

http://cython.org/
http://docs.cython.org/en/latest/src/userguide/memoryviews.html

--