[Numpy-discussion] State-of-the-art to use a C/C++ library from Python

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 31 18:04:33 EDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016, at 13:57, Jason Newton wrote:
> Hey Ian - I hope I gave Cython a fair comment, but I have to add the
> disclaimer that your capability to understand/implement those
> solutions/workarounds in that project is greatly enhanced from your
> knowing the innards of Cython from being core developer on the Cython
> project. This doesn't detract from DyDN's accomplishments (if nothing
> it means Cython users should look there for how to use C++ with Cython
> and the workarounds used + shortcomings) but I would not expect not
> everyone would want to jump through those hoops to get things working
> without a firm understanding of Cython's edges, and all this potential
> for special/hack adaption code is still something to keep in mind when
> comparing to something more straight forward and easier to understand
> coming from a more pure C/C++ side, where things are a bit more
> dangerous and fairly more verbose but make play with the language and
> environment first-class (like Boost.Python/pybind).  Since this thread
> is a survey over state and options it's my intent just to make sure
> readers have something bare in mind for current pros/cons of the
> approaches.

There are many teaching resources available for Cython, after which
exposure to sharp edges may be greatly reduced.  See, e.g.,

https://github.com/stefanv/teaching/blob/master/2014_assp_split_cython/slides/split2014_cython.pdf

and accompanying problems and exercises at

https://github.com/stefanv/teaching/tree/master/2014_assp_split_cython

Stéfan